About Our Branch
The current Lewisville Library is the newest and most up-to-date Forsyth County
Public Library facility. It opened in 2007 thanks to a very supportive community.
The new library building of 15,000 square feet acts as a focal point and continues
to draw the community together to meet the needs of Lewisville citizens, all 17,000
of them. In fact, the annual door count is more than 60,000 visits. The Library’s
manager is Merrikay Brown. The staff is always ready to assist and provide reference
and circulation services.
The Town of Lewisville provided land for a new building and grants for new computers.
The Friends of the Lewisville Library have provided funds for children’s programs,
furniture, and books. The Lewisville Historical Society maintains a collection of
local history files for public use.
The Library has a monthly art show in its auditorium featuring art from many community
groups. The Lewisville Garden Club maintains the Library’s outside flowers.
Library service in Lewisville began with a volunteer library established by the
Lewisville Extension Homemakers Club in October 1945. Dorothy Moser Holder was the
librarian. This library closed in 1953, and the Forsyth County Public Library’s
bookmobile served the community for several years.
Forsyth County opened a library sub-branch on December 11, 1970. This half-time
Branch was located on the side porch at the Sunny Acres Home, a local community
center. Nell McBride managed the Branch for over 12 years along with assistance
from Mary Bruce and Nancy Davis. The Library was moved to Lewisville Plaza Shopping
Center in 1977. In 1983 Laura Robbins Weigand, the first full-time professional
librarian was hired, hours were expanded, and the Branch became a full-service library.
In 1984, after the neighboring business moved, the Library was expanded from 2,000
to 4,000 square feet.
In October 1984, Merrikay Everett Brown became the Library’s manager. Circulation
continued to increase, and in 1996 Jenny Barrett was hired when a full-time children’s
librarian position was added.
The drive for a larger library began with the incorporation of the Town of Lewisville
in 1991. Town Mayors Hank Chilton, Bob Stebbins, and Mike Horn were leaders in this
campaign. On July 27, 2006 a groundbreaking ceremony took place on the site for
a new 15,000-square-foot Lewisville Branch Library building. The new facility opened
on November 29, 2007.